Saturday, October 01, 2022

Do not despise the short nature walk

 I have always wanted to do nature walks.  I have always felt guilty for not being better at fitting in nature study.  Well, this year I have changed that!  Everyday at 9:00 everyone has their shoes on and we go for a short walk down the road together.  It takes 10-15 minutes. We don't have any planned curriculum.  I don't direct anything, but we have noticed so many things!  My kids often stop me to show me a pretty flower, a caterpillar slowly crossing the road, lovely clouds, or a new bird.  This has been such an encouragement to me and has blessed all of us.  It is a wonderful way to start our school day.  Everyone gets a little bit of energy out, we get fresh air, and we get to chat for a bit about whatever is on our minds.  The baby is happy in the stroller.  The 3 year old walks on the way out and usually asks for a shoulder ride on the way back.  I absolutely love doing this in the mornings.

It has been nice to notice how the same area changes with the seasons.  We notice the new flowers, the different birds (or lack of birds), the wind, and the trees.  Sometimes I remind the kids that God is so creative in making all of this variety.

So, if you are not sure what to do for nature study, just tell everyone that at 9:00 every morning you are going to walk down to the cut-de-sac, or walk to the end of the block, or to the bridge, or to the mailbox.  Just pick a spot to walk to and do it every morning.  And then open your eyes and your ears.  Listen to your kids and start the day by connecting with them and with nature.

No comments: