Monday, October 22, 2007

Change the Channel

We women are always having trouble with our thoughts. Whether it is worry and fear, dwelling on our spouses shortcomings, or just thinking about ourselves too much, we have to learn how to take our thoughts captive. Well, Nancy Wilson has a great analogy that I appreciate. She says to think of the thoughts in your head like a radio station. If something that you are thinking on is not what is should be, just change the station. Take control of your thoughts and consciously turn them on to the things of God. Try some thankfulness. Add a little confession of sin. Then get back to more thankfulness. Think about those that need help in your church. Think about how you can assist. Organize your day in your head, but don't organize your frustrations with your hubby. Change that channel.

On a related note...I have seen a poem relating to cherishing and serving our kids. Well, I thought it might be helpful to have one that reminded us to do the same for our husbands so here it is...

To my husband...

Just for this morning, I will wake up cheerfully ready to love on you a little.

Just for this morning, I will cook you a yummy breakfast just because I love you.

Just for this morning, I won't complain when you leave your clothes lying on the floor, but will be so thankful that you are here with me.

Just for this morning, I won't act like your mother. Instead I will treat you with the respect that you deserve and that God commands me to give you.

Just for this morning, I will be thankful that you work so hard to provide for our family.

Just for this morning, I will not manipulate you with silence or loud gestures.

Just for this morning, I will send you off to work with a smile and a kiss.

Just for this afternoon, I will do something that you need done so that you don't have to do it.

Just for this afternoon, I will let you lead our family instead of trying to steer things myself.

Just for this evening, I will be so thankful that you chose to come home to me once again.

Just for this evening, I will enjoy dinner and talking with you and our kids and not worry about...anything.

Just for this evening, I will turn off being a mom of toddlers and turn on being only your wife.

Just for this evening, I will do what you want to do for fun instead of expecting our time together to be on my terms.

Just for this evening, I won't mind if you hog the sheets or get on my side. I will just be glad that you are in bed with me.

Just for this evening, I will remember how crazy I was about you when we were dating! I will foster that!

Just for this evening, I will choose to look at all your great qualities instead of choosing to pick out your flaws.

Just for this evening, I will say I am sorry first and just take responsibility for my part and move on.

Just for this evening, I will be the wife of your dreams!

No comments: