Friday, October 23, 2009

Ditch a subject you don't like?

I read on the Sonlight forums about a homeschooling mom that really wanted to ditch science with her 10 year old. Well, Colleen had a terrific comment in response:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm of two minds. On the one hand, I certainly don't think doing "formal" science (or not) at age 10 is going to make or break a kid. On the other, I cringe when homeschooling parents jump at the first chance to drop a subject that ~ surprise! ~ happens to be an area s/he doesn't partiularly enjoy. I think it's a cop-out more often than not. I also think homeschooling is a job and dropping part of one's job isn't right, imo. To that end, I'd encourage you to be more diligent about getting to the work set before you, particularly for the sake of your daughter, who considers science a favorite subject. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against interest-led learning. But I doubt much is going to happen based on your track record so I think you should make a pointed effort to keep science at the forefront of your days and apply a dose of stick-to-it-iveness.

No comments: