Saturday, October 01, 2022

The Basics of My School System

I have settled on a system that is working well for us and I have discovered that I don't change it much from year to year. Here are the basics of my system.

Flippers are one main component of our schooling. They are small laminated cards hanging on a ribbon.  The kids flip over each card when they have competed the subject listed on that card.  Every year I just decide what work each flipper will represent, put it all on a list, show it to my child, and we are ready to go!  Many of these just take a few minutes to do and some can be done at the same time.

Using the Charlotte Mason Method, I would rather do many short lessons so that the child's interests are constantly engaged.  As they get older some subjects do take a good bit of time, but it is a good rule of thumb to ask for complete attention for a shorter amount of time instead of half attention for a very long lesson.  When the mind gets tired it is a good idea to change to something different.  This is even true for adults! For example, go from a reading lesson, to math, playing with a sibling, then back to a different reading lesson.  They can tackle their flippers in any order they want to. 

Here are the flippers that I use most years for the kids 2nd grade and up:

Before 9:00 There is a list in our living room that says: Make Bed, Read Bible, Pray, Drink Water, Exercise/Stretch, Morning Chore, Clean Your Body, Get Dressed, Reset Flippers (turn them back over).

Bible The curriculum that the child is using this year (this is in addition to their daily Bible reading mentioned in the Before 9:00 list).

Scripture Memory Pick a passage and tackle 1 or 2 verses per week

Greek Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek and others beginning in 3rd grade

Math Math U See or Saxon

Science a variety

History Reader A book at their reading level that goes along with what we are reading together in history.

Literature Reader A book at their reading level that is good literature.

Assigned Reader  A book at their reading level about character, personal piety, or health. For the younger readers I will put Literature Reader and Assigned Reader on the same flipper and have them alternate days.

MCT Michal Clay Thompson Language Arts (I do this with two kids at a time)

Writing Every Friday they hand in an essay on the topic of their choice and read it aloud.  The last Friday of the month they do a speech with only a few notes on a notecard.  They work on these daily at an age appropriate level.  Even my 3 year old wants to get up and read her paper! 

Explode the Code/Italic This is only for the kids 4th grade and down. I make a flipper with both of those on it and they alternate days.

Piano or Guitar daily practice

Narration Tell me about each book they are reading.

Copywork Copy scripture, literature, or any quotes that are meaningful to them.  They get more freedom in this as they get older.

Play with Marley Jeremy wanted them to have this flipper because it ensures that our dog gets some attention!

15 Minutes Outside They can do their schoolwork outside or play with Marley or a sibling.  Anything counts...they just have to be outside.

Read to a younger sibling Some read a board book to the baby.  Others read chapter books to our 10 year old.  They love this time!

20 minutes with Brooke or Zach  This is my built in babysitting and relationship building.  It really blesses me to hear them say to one another, "Do you want to do 20 minutes?"

The other regular in our day is Circle Time.  We do this from 9-10:30.  Every day during that time we all go for a short walk outside, pray, read scripture and read aloud from a chapter book.  I may also include one of the following:

Geography

Picture Study

Topical Bible Study from Doorposts

While I am reading aloud I let the kids do a puzzle, dot to dot, or legos.  We barricade the baby in the rec room with us so he can crawl around and play with toys.  They really enjoy this time!

In addition to doing MCT with two kids at a time, I read a portion of our TruthQuest History guide or a recommended history book to those same two kids. In this way I am guiding them through history and it goes along with the history reader that they are reading on their own.

I am using this checklist for my week.  It has been so helpful!


Many of the things on this list just take a few minutes, but it helps me to separate them out.  I never get every single box checked in a week, but I do get a lot done and this list helps me do that.  

The section at the bottom labeled Afternoons is full of suggestions for ways to spend the time well.  I rarely remember to look at it or mark off things that we did, but I should!  

These things are the backbone of my homeschool.  I am thankful to have them in place.  They keep me from having to start from scratch each year.  I hope that they will be helpful to some of you reading this!  The Lord bless you in your efforts to disciple and educate your children!




No comments: