Saturday, December 29, 2007

Scream Savers

I loved this little book. I have even given a few copies as gifts. Sure some of it is common sense, but lets face it...in the middle of a tough afternoon with toddlers sometimes we moms are lacking in common sense! We go into survival mode and need someone to tell us EXACTLY WHAT TO DO. This book is small and easy to read. It has 4 sections: 1. Prescriptions for peace (How to stay on top of things in the first place). 2. Keeping your cool in the heat of the moment (How to get a grip when you are loosing yours). 3. Quiet activities for kids (A little treasure trove of ideas when you need things a little quieter). 4. Mommy moments (Some things that you can enjoy...just for you).

I will give you one tip from this book, and end with a great tip I got from a wise friend...

From the book: You are thankful for your kids. There are times when you get short and impatient with them, but you know that they are wonderful blessings God has given you. Take time to thank Him for them. Jot down the little things you love about each of them and keep that little list in a handy place (or at the very least, keep it in your mind). When you are getting frustrated with them or about to pull your hair out, pull out the list and reset your mind. Give thanks and stop fussing. Just enjoy your kids!

From the wise friend: Teresa Hardin once told me to always remember that I am "TRAINING" my kids. I should not get frustrated when they sin, are mean to each other, are disrespectful, are messy, or are disobedient. I should not be shocked or surprised. After all, they are sinners and then will sin just like I do. My job (and very high calling) is to train them. It is my business. I don't need to take it personally or get my feelings hurt when they sin. I need to see it as God sees it and train them with love and patience.

One more note on that topic. We have to be willing to *SEE* our kids sins. We don't want to pick them apart, but to train them effectively we should pray that God would show us particular sins that our kids are prone to. We should want to see it for what it is and train them to quit doing it. It will be a blessing to them!

Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul. Prov 29:17

Discipline your son, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to his death. Prov 19:18

No comments: