Friday, February 08, 2008

Homeschooling Stuff

I am not supposing that everyone should want to homeschool. However, we are going to start out that way and so I have picked over lots of books while trying to decide how to proceed. I have a few book suggestions that have been particularly helpful:

100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum
I mentioned this a few posts ago so I won't say any more about it.

Homeschooling Methods
This one was really great. It is a compilation of essays by some of the top voices in homeschooling today. Each one tells you why they think their approach is worth considering. This was an easy read and helped me sort through all the different ways to approach homeschooling.

The Three R's
This book is very thin and gets right to the point. It covers Math, Reading, and Language Arts and tells you how to teach your child these basics using what you have. I recommend this book even if you are going to buy some other curriculum to follow. It points out many ways to work teaching into normal life.

The Well-Trained Mind
I am not going to follow this exact plan, but there was a lot of helpful info in this book. It is definitely worth a look, especially if you are drawn to the classical method.

Home Learning Year by Year
I like this book because it gives you a very detailed list of what your child should learn each year. Of course you can move things around, but it is helpful to have a place to check back and see if you are on track. Rebecca Rupp (the author) has written some really great books about homeschooling and I like her approach a lot. But, just a small warning...she is not a Christian and it comes out quite vividly when she is recommending science curriculum.

No comments: